31 March 2003 (Monday)
salad solves everything
Sanity-checklist for foul moods and stressing about small stuff:
1. When was the last time you got 8 hours of sleep? Thought so.
2. When was the last time you ate? Something other than a cookie?
3. Did you just spend the whole day alone in your apartment again?
4. Isn't this the same thing you were stressing out about last week, only you kept procrastinating on it?
5. With all due respect, why the hell don't you just do it already?
6. There, don't you feel better?
7. Stop beating yourself up. No good for the complexion. It's done now, isn't it?
8. Now go tell some people how cool you think they are.
9. Fix yourself a salad.
10. And take a nap.
posted by enjelani @ 09:15 PM PST [ link ]
30 March 2003 (Sunday)
enjy the wasp
I bought James Q. Wilson's The Marriage Problem the other day. I feel like hiding it tucked under my arm when I'm reading it in public; this is, after all, one of the sources that I found so annoying in a Salon article several months back. Sure enough, his sweepingly judgmental statements still grate on me, and I feel like covering every page's margins with countering remarks. But this is exactly why I'm reading it -- to engage with a perspective with which I'm inclined to disagree. Makes me think harder. Last time it was William Henry III's In Defense of Elitism, and that ruffled my brain in some very good ways.
Also bought Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen. Between that and The Marriage Problem, you'd think that I'm trying to become a middle-aged male executive.
posted by enjelani @ 12:01 PM PST [ link ]